The dip area of Third Avenue, Newton Park will be closed from 19:00 tonight until it is deemed safe tomorrow as a precautionary measure following predictions of localised flooding for tonight and tomorrow by the South African Weather Services.
Road users are advised to use alternative routes and to exercise the necessary care in all low lying areas and to avoid flooded roads.
Although no plans are afoot to establish a Joint Operations Centre until further notice, emergency services will be on high alert. A team from our Parks Department will also be on standby to deal with emergencies emanating from fallen trees due the envisaged wind, rain and the saturated soil.
We are especially concerned about the Brittle Blue Gum trees and the old Pine trees in the Walmer area, Cape Road and Kragga Kamma.
Residents in lower lying areas and informal settlements are encouraged to place their items out of harm’s way as Disaster Management has limited resources.
In cases of emergencies contact us at 041 585 1555 or 0800 20 50 50.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Municipal Leases to Undergo Mayoral Forensic Enquiry - 18 September 2017
- No Water on Old Seaview Road after burst pipe - 18 September 2017
- Watch out for the Shot Spotter - 17 September 2017
- Kwadesi Traffic Logjam - 15 September 2017
- Metro Police slowly penetrating crime ridden areas to reclaim the streets - 14 September 2017