The fact that the State of the Nation Address has been postponed presents the Eastern Cape with a golden opportunity to postpone the State of the Province Address, which is scheduled for 16 February, until the ANC has finished with its political reshuffle in the province.
It makes no sense for a lame duck Premier and a lame duck provincial cabinet to be part of a State of the Province Address when everything could change in a matter of weeks.
The DA believes that what this province needs is a new direction that ensures that the right environment is created for jobs and economic growth, the eradication of corruption and an overall improvement in service delivery.
It is quite clear that even the ANC has lost confidence in the current provincial administration. Last week, I wrote to the Speaker of the Provincial Legislature, Noxolo Kiviet, questioning whether the State of the Province Address would go ahead in the light of the undercurrents and disunity in the governing party.
Bobby Stevenson, MPL
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Zonke Dikana – Biography, Songs & Love Life of the South African Singer – Port Elizabeth Business News - 18 October 2019
- The Reason for the Steynsburg violence - 18 October 2019
- Zonke Dikana – Biography, Songs & Love Life of the South African Singer – Port Elizabeth in the News - 18 October 2019
- Recall of IPTS grant funding to bankrupt Nelson Mandela Bay - 18 October 2019
- Go Jason – Team Sailing League Regatta - 18 October 2019