The fact that the State of the Nation Address has been postponed presents the Eastern Cape with a golden opportunity to postpone the State of the Province Address, which is scheduled for 16 February, until the ANC has finished with its political reshuffle in the province.
It makes no sense for a lame duck Premier and a lame duck provincial cabinet to be part of a State of the Province Address when everything could change in a matter of weeks.
The DA believes that what this province needs is a new direction that ensures that the right environment is created for jobs and economic growth, the eradication of corruption and an overall improvement in service delivery.
It is quite clear that even the ANC has lost confidence in the current provincial administration. Last week, I wrote to the Speaker of the Provincial Legislature, Noxolo Kiviet, questioning whether the State of the Province Address would go ahead in the light of the undercurrents and disunity in the governing party.
Bobby Stevenson, MPL
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Amsterdamhoek Dusk – Port Elizabeth - 22 November 2019
- Farmers in crisis as goal posts shifted for drought relief applications - 22 November 2019
- Committed to developing young leaders - 22 November 2019
- Province spends R91 million on accident-damaged state vehicles - 22 November 2019
- Station 6 in the Mix – Team Sailing League Regatta - 22 November 2019