Today’s posts from our featured Port Elizabeth Blogger:
Port Elizabeth is one of the top six spectacular scuba dive sites in South Africa and Mozambique.
According to whom we ask?
According to Fiona McIntosh.
Who is she you might ask?
Fiona McIntosh is an Olympian, a hiker and an author, she contributes to the SA Country Life magazine, she is one of South Africa’s great adventurers and lovers of the great outdoors, having skied to the north and south pole, climbed the highest peaks, dived to the depths and kayaked raging rivers.
In the June 2017 issue of SA Contry Life magazine, in her article titled “What Lies Beneath’ she lists her top six spectacular scuba dives sites in South Africa and Mozambique.
In her article Fiona shares the following points on scuba diving in Port Elizabeth:-
- Port Elizabeth’s underwater world is remarkable.
- There is incredibly diverse diving in the sheltered Algoa Bay and on more exposed reefs outside.
- It’s a macro photographer’s dream.
- The reefs are covered with neon pink sponges, red sea fans and vivid blue sea squirts.
- Top sites are Bell Buoy Reef and Riy Banks.
- Visit Port Elizabeth now in late June, early July to catch the Sardine Run or late October, November for diving the chokka egg beds; a unique chilly experience that every exploratory diver should try.
What’s Fiona’s motto in life?
“If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space.”
ALGOA BAY HOPE SPOT:- Algoa Bay is one of the largest bays in South Africa. At the conjuncture of two oceanic systems; the Cape Agulhas and the upwelling current of the Benguela, Algoa Bay presents climate and oceanic conditions favourable for species from two different ecosystems. The islands located within this bay are the eastern most islands of South Africa, representing the last territory accessible by the large numbers of endemic species of the Benguela Upwelling system, one of the richest systems on earth.
What is a Hope Spot? a special conservation area that is critical to the health of the ocean.
https://www.samrec.org.za/ Now called SANCOB
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Mthatha News: Bhisho MPLs ‘too scared to sleep in village’ - 16 October 2018
- Makhanda News: Family seek justice for boy’s horrid assault at illegal initiation school - 16 October 2018
- NMB Acting City Manager appointed illegally - 16 October 2018
- Eastern Cape’s public hospitals fail at safety - 16 October 2018
- Grahamstown News: Idols judge Unathi Nkayi gets intimate – opens up about money, beliefs about it - 16 October 2018