Today’s posts from our featured Port Elizabeth Blogger:
Port Elizabeth is one of the top six spectacular scuba dive sites in South Africa and Mozambique.
According to whom we ask?
According to Fiona McIntosh.
Who is she you might ask?
Fiona McIntosh is an Olympian, a hiker and an author, she contributes to the SA Country Life magazine, she is one of South Africa’s great adventurers and lovers of the great outdoors, having skied to the north and south pole, climbed the highest peaks, dived to the depths and kayaked raging rivers.
In the June 2017 issue of SA Contry Life magazine, in her article titled “What Lies Beneath’ she lists her top six spectacular scuba dives sites in South Africa and Mozambique.
In her article Fiona shares the following points on scuba diving in Port Elizabeth:-
- Port Elizabeth’s underwater world is remarkable.
- There is incredibly diverse diving in the sheltered Algoa Bay and on more exposed reefs outside.
- It’s a macro photographer’s dream.
- The reefs are covered with neon pink sponges, red sea fans and vivid blue sea squirts.
- Top sites are Bell Buoy Reef and Riy Banks.
- Visit Port Elizabeth now in late June, early July to catch the Sardine Run or late October, November for diving the chokka egg beds; a unique chilly experience that every exploratory diver should try.
What’s Fiona’s motto in life?
“If you’re not living on the edge, you’re taking up too much space.”
ALGOA BAY HOPE SPOT:- Algoa Bay is one of the largest bays in South Africa. At the conjuncture of two oceanic systems; the Cape Agulhas and the upwelling current of the Benguela, Algoa Bay presents climate and oceanic conditions favourable for species from two different ecosystems. The islands located within this bay are the eastern most islands of South Africa, representing the last territory accessible by the large numbers of endemic species of the Benguela Upwelling system, one of the richest systems on earth.
What is a Hope Spot? a special conservation area that is critical to the health of the ocean.
https://www.samrec.org.za/ Now called SANCOB
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- 2 Bedroom Townhouse For Sale in Lorraine, Port Elizabeth for R575 000 [video] - 21 April 2018
- 3 Bedroom House For Rent in Lovemore Heights Estate, Port Elizabeth for R20 000 [video] - 21 April 2018
- Mthatha news: South Africa: Police Operations Put Mthatha Crime Under a Tight Squeeze - 21 April 2018
- Madibaz women’s sevens team target further progress – MyPR.co.za - 20 April 2018
- Total Change needed for Grahamstown traffic officers - 20 April 2018