The DA is shocked and saddened by the killing of another member of the police service in the Eastern Cape. Yesterday a policeman and a paramedic were murdered in New Brighton in Port Elizabeth in what appears to have been a planned shooting.
Our hard working policemen and -women are committed to making our society a safer place. Anyone who kills or injures a policeman must face the full wrath of the law and must serve as a deterrent to others.
We welcome the arrests of 24 suspects and in connection with the murder of police officers, according to a reply by Safety and Liaison MEC Weziwe Tikana, to a legislature question I asked her recently.
She said two suspects had been successfully prosecuted, one to a life sentence plus 40 years and one to a life sentence.
The DA extends its condolences to the families of the deceased.
Editor: See Policeman, paramedic gunned down in New Brighton
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- 2020 Is the Perfect Vision – MyPR.co.za - 11 December 2019
- Girl, 5, naked with hands tied, rescued with help of friend who had been stabbed 10 times – Port Elizabeth in the News - 11 December 2019
- Port Elizabeth Beachfront - 11 December 2019
- Wiese to join Spartans for MSL play-offs – Port Elizabeth in the News - 11 December 2019
- Khayelitsha court doesn’t cater properly for rape survivors, report finds – News from GroundUp - 10 December 2019