On Wednesday 28 September, at 12h37, NSRI Jeffreys Bay received a call from a local SANCCOB (SA Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds) representative requesting assistance with a penguin appearing to be oiled on the beach.
They had received a call from 2 joggers about the penguin on a beach approximately 3km outside of Jeffreys Bay in the direction of the Gamtoos River Mouth.
We dispatched our NSRI 4×4 rescue vehicle and found the penguin 4km from Kabeljous and after numerous attempts trying to capture the penguin we were successful in capturing the penguin, a juvenile, and it was transported to Jeffreys Bay and handed to the local SANCCOB representative in Jeffreys Bay and they will assess, feed, clean and rehabilitate the penguin.
The little penguin is in very good condition and it is believed that the penguin will make a full recovery and be able to be released back into the wild.
The operation was completed at 14:30.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Caution – Rift Valley Fever Often Follows Good Rains - 21 January 2020
- Voice your opinion on the 2020 Budget - 21 January 2020
- Clyde Smithers Comments on the Most Beautiful Road Race - 21 January 2020
- Most Beautiful Road Race UNBOXING Video - 21 January 2020
- Why a Butterfly Tattoo? #alanusesbutterfliestopredictthewind - 21 January 2020