Ever wondered what the name, country of origin, cargo carried or destination of ships in Algoa Bay, the Port Elizabeth or Nqura Harbours are? Wonder no more – hovering over the ships in the harbours or bay maps below will show you just that information. If you zoom out on the Algoa Bay Map you will be able to see all the ships sailing up and down the South African coastline as well.
Clicking on a ship will give you the following information: Flag, Type, Status, Speed and Course, Length x Breadth, Draught, Destination, ETA, Date info received, Vessel Track, Distance to, Photographs and Details.
Ships in the Port Elizabeth Harbour today:
These maps are brought to you compliments of Marine Traffic who track the movement of shipping via a network of land based AIS receivers.
As from December 2004, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) required all vessels over 299GT to carry an AIS (Automatic Identification System) transponder on board, which transmits their position, speed and course, among some other static information, such as vessel’s name, dimensions and voyage details. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Identification_System.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- What a sedentary, social media lifestyle, could lead to… - 18 August 2018
- Huge contest expected in Durban – Siya Kolisi - 17 August 2018
- One Southern King Nominated for 2017/18 Guinness PRO14 Dream Team - 17 August 2018
- CEO by day, Ironman in the early mornings, after work and on weekends - 17 August 2018
- Residential Building Activity Trends - 17 August 2018