Listen to iFM online here
Islamic based community radio began in 1996 hitching a two hour slot every evening on the first Port Elizabeth community radio station, Ubuntu. The studio was based at Pier 14 shopping centre in North End and local presenters would make their way to this studio daily to propagate Islam for two hours on the airwaves.
From these humble beginnings a special events license was applied for and granted for the first Islamic based radio station during Ramadan of 1997. Fully fledged studios were set up temporarily and broken down after the month of broadcasting. This set-up saw various community organizations in Port Elizabeth apply for special events license every year for the month of Ramadan. Hence, in 2003 the Eastern Cape Muslim Broadcasting Association (ECMBA) was establish with the purpose of a single broadcasting authority that would supervise Islamic based community radio in the metro. IFM was launched.
With the slogan inform, invite, inspire, IFM became a household name to the Muslim community of Nelson Mandela Bay operating on special events licenses. Today IFM boasts its own studio situated at the Al-Ansaar Building in Parkside Port Elizabeth.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Over 30 Students benefit from #Trailblazing - 23 March 2017
- First Time Captain to Lead Southern Kings Against Lions - 23 March 2017
- A Salty Artist who has Never Seen the Sea - 23 March 2017
- Port Elizabeth border police confiscate R1 Million in undeclared liquor - 23 March 2017
- VSP? Huh? - 23 March 2017