At 04h45, Saturday, 10th January, NSRI Port Elizabeth duty crew were activated by the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA) to rendezvous with the 292 meter bulk carrier ER BAYONNE, sailing from Canada to Singapore, to casualty evacuate the 40 year old Bulgarian Master of the ship, suffering an achilles
heal injury heel injury (see comments), and to exchange crew including delivering a new ships Master.
NSRI Port Elizabeth had been informed on Thursday of the pending arrival of ER BAYONNE that was heading towards Port Elizabeth from deep sea with their injured Master.
On arrival on-scene, in Algoa Bay, NSRI rescue crew were put aboard the ship and the injured Master taken off the ship and onto the sea rescue craft SPIRIT OF TOFT, secured into a Stokes basket stretcher, the crew changes were made, and in a stable condition the ships Master was brought into the Port of Port Elizabeth and transported to hospital for further treatment by the ships company representative.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Should I Turn it Off or Turn it On? - 17 January 2020
- Great news for prospective property buyers and homeowners alike - 17 January 2020
- Don’t be a hypocrite – do your bit - 17 January 2020
- Support for a Gun Free South Africa - 17 January 2020
- Heavy rains improve some dam levels - 16 January 2020