The DA will submit follow-up questions after a reply to a Parliamentary Question by the DA’s Vusumzi Magwebu MP has revealed that over 8000 police vehicles are currently in repair shops.
More than 2 000 vehicles in Gauteng and over 1 500 vehicles in the Eastern Cape are currently out of service and some police stations have only four vehicles to serve eight sectors.
According to another NCOP reply, there are 48 247 police vehicles nationally. This means that a shocking 16.6% of all police vehicles are currently out of service and waiting for repairs and maintenance. Because of this, there is currently only one vehicle for every 5 South African Police Services (SAPS) members.
A report received by the Gauteng legislature’s Portfolio Committee on Community Safety on Thursday furthermore revealed that there are serious challenges at the auxiliary garage, where police vehicles languish for up to three months. The report also noted a relationship between policing performance and resourcing in all eight sampled police stations.
It is all too common for police members to lack the basic equipment they need to carry out their mandate of keeping South Africans safe.
Without vehicles, the police are not able to respond timeously to crimes taking place and therefore, the under equipping of the SAPS directly threatens the safety of ordinary citizens.
The DA will establish the true extent of the crisis with follow-up questions and find out what the Minister of Police, Nathi Nhleko, and the SAPS command is doing about it.
It is unacceptable for the police to be incapacitated because of something as simple as a failure to accurately keep track of vehicle repairs, collect vehicles on time and run functioning vehicle repair shops.
The DA cannot stand by while crime thrives as a result of not giving police members the equipment they need to make South Africa a safer place for all.
Zakhele Mbhele MP
DA Shadow Minister of Police
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Wheelchair Wednesday campaign hits target of 1 000 – MyPR.co.za - 20 September 2019
- Open a Website Hosting Business, be a reseller or affiliate or host your webdesign clients – Port Elizabeth Business News - 20 September 2019
- South Africa: Qawe Twins Tackle Their First National Women’s Rugby Tour Together – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 September 2019
- Uitenhage News: 2 Bedroom House for Sale in Kwanobuhle - 20 September 2019
- Madibaz senior players must lead from the front – MyPR.co.za - 20 September 2019