Having spent a year promoting MyPE (subtly!) on Social Media the sorry sad truth has emerged:
Social Media only accounted for 4.7% of the total visits to www.MyPE.co.za for 2018.
Contrast that with:
- Search traffic (from a search engine) comprised 65.8%
- Direct Traffic (from people typing www.MyPE.co.za into their browser) comprised 23.4%
- Referral Traffic (from other web sites linking to www.MyPE.co.za) comprised 6%
Even more disappointing was that the highest bounce rate – the percentage of visits in which a person exits a website from the first page they land on without browsing any further – also came from social media referrals.
From being an easy way to gain traffic, Social Media has become a grumpy beast in a walled garden that, frankly, doesn’t seem to justify the effort.
I must say that I am most happy over the Direct Traffic figure of 23.4% which means that people remember the URL and return again and again by typing the URL in.
At this point we would normally ask you to follow us on Facebook or Tweet on Twitter BUT would rather that you just remember the MyPE URL and type that into your browser every now and then or you could just CLICK ON THIS LINK for a bit of fun and a smile.
On the other side of the coin referral traffic to www.MyPR.co.za seems to support the above findings:
Social Media only accounted for 4.9% of the total visits to www.MyPR.co.za for 2018.
- Search traffic (from a search engine) comprised 53.9%
- Direct Traffic (from people typing www.MyPR.co.za into their browser) comprised 35.7%
- Referral Traffic (from other web sites linking to www.MyPE.co.za) comprised 5.5%
The highest bounce rate – the percentage of visits in which a person leaves your website from the landing page without browsing any further – also came from social media referrals.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- East Cape sentencing should serve as deterrent: NPA - 22 July 2019
- Maintain your savings goals despite interest rate cut - 22 July 2019
- This is the Lonely Voice in the EV Wilderness Speaking…. - 22 July 2019
- Grey Hammers Grey - 21 July 2019
- So, Allow the Cynic in me to comment on Round Umpteen of the Proposed Fish Farm - 21 July 2019