The Nooitgedagt Phase 3 budget has been restored to R93 million, bringing the project back to life.
Contractors walked off site last week when it was announced that the National Department of Water and Sanitation (DWS) was slashing the budget by R34 million.
The drought-stricken Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality had appealed to the DWS to reconsider this decision. Thus, we welcome the commitment to recommence work from Monday.
This is an important development, confirmed verbally today by senior national water officials. Once Phase 3 comes online, the low level scheme will provide approximately 210 million litres of water to our Metro.
We still face a critical water crisis with our western supply dams now at 25.67% capacity. We all need to continue saving water in whatever way we can.
The Metro’s multi-pronged water turnaround strategy continues without hesitation, requiring each of us to use no more than 60 litres of water each day.
Please report all water leaks to 0800 20 50 50.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Water Shut Off Due To Maintenance Work - 10 July 2019
- On the Non Collection of Refuse - 5 July 2019
- Let me know what challenges you face - 4 July 2019
- Staying ahead of the curve to address community issues a must – Mayor Bobani - 2 July 2019
- Parts of Summerstrand and Humewood Could be Without Water - 26 June 2019