The Democratic Alliance (DA) in the Eastern Cape has scored a victory in defence of the basic human rights of all students attending the TVET College in Port Elizabeth.
I led members of the Democratic Alliance Student Organization (DASO) in a peaceful march to demand that the management ensure toilet paper is, on a daily basis, available in the bathrooms of all three campuses. It has been an ongoing struggle for students as toilet paper would run out within the first week of the month. Thereafter it would not be replaced. General sanitation is also a problem, as many of the ablution facilities on these campuses seems to have fallen into disrepair.
Our children attending technical colleges are not getting the same quality services that university students are receiving. PE College is a beacon of hope and leads the way when judging how a technical college should function. I was, therefore, very disappointed when I heard that our students are not receiving toilet paper.
By doing this the College is undermining their dignity.
After a petition was handed over to the management the principle of the College, Mr Khaya Matiso, informed all involved that toilet paper will, from now always be available at all campuses. Mr Matiso also requested monthly reports on safety and health issues at all campuses.
The DA will hold the College and its management to account to ensure that all the interventions promised by the principal will immediately be implemented.
The Eastern Cape and South Africa need total change under a DA-led government, where the circumstance of your birth do not determine the way in which you are treated by the State and institutions like PE College.
DA EC Provincial Leader
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Makhanda News: Another arrest for robbery at Kareedouw police station - 18 December 2018
- Mthatha News: Get registered to vote, says Cyril - 18 December 2018
- Premier Interschools | Grey High School vs Grey College – 2nd half [video] - 18 December 2018
- PE Business News: Three expected in court over Port Elizabeth business robbery - 18 December 2018
- King Williams Town News: 2012 Toyota Fortuner 3.0d-4d 4×4 A/t for sale in Eastern Cape - 18 December 2018