Following a legislature question to the MEC for Cooperative Governance, Fikile Xasa, it has been revealed that no investigation has been conducted with respect to the alleged irregular expenditure by the Amathole District Municipality (ADM) for an International Boxing Organisation world title fight in October last year.
It has also been revealed that no findings have been made and no disciplinary actions against any municipal official have been taken.
Money seems to flow easily from the ADM coffers to fund ill-advised schemes and dodgy promotions and all the time, it is basic service delivery that is suffering.
This non-action comes on the back of a string of allegations that the cash-strapped ADM has funded a number of other questionable promotion companies and individuals.
It is no secret that the ADM has been seriously tainted by these allegations.
As well as the Amathole Development Agency (ASPIRE) receiving a qualified audit from the Auditor-General, ADM paid R2-million for the flawed Miss Amathole Heritage event in September 2015. The biggest stink has come from the R631-million failed toilet project implemented by the Siyenza Group, which has left over 4 000 people jobless in villages in Mbhashe, Mnquma, Great Kei, Amahlathi, Ngqushwa and Nkonkobe municipalities.
ADM mayor Nomasikizi reportedly proposed recently to sell off council property to pay staff salaries and bills. She admitted in the media in March that all projects in ADM are stalled due to lack of finances.
With all the serious allegations we, the DA, believe that the MEC cannot simply turn a blind eye.
I have today written to MEC Xasa and to the chairpersons of the Portfolio Committees on Sport Recreation, Arts and Culture, Vuyani Limba MPL and of Local Government, Mninawa Nyusile MPL, to request a full report on the allegations against the municipality and for remedial action.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Head For The Hills 2019 – MyPR.co.za - 22 November 2019
- Dream11 Team Prediction Nelson Mandela Bay Giants vs Cape Town Blitz, Mzansi Super League – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 November 2019
- ‘Sex pest’ Breytenbach found at mother’s house near Mossel Bay – Port Elizabeth Business News - 21 November 2019
- Madibaz ready to apply themselves at USSA chess week – MyPR.co.za - 21 November 2019
- PP complaint leads to arrest of suspects allegedly involved in Siyenza toilet scandal - 21 November 2019