President Jacob Zuma has accepted the Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Public Office Bearers recommendations for the adjustment of Public Office Bearers annual remuneration for the 2016/2017 financial year.
The Commission recommended that there would be no adjustment (0 %) to the remuneration of following Public Office Bearers:
- All members of the National Executive (the President, Deputy President, Ministers and Deputy Ministers);
- All members of the National Parliament;
- All members of the Provincial Executive and Legislature;
- All Judges
- Local government: Positions of Executive Mayors to Whip;
- Traditional Leadership: Position of the King/Queen to full time Deputy Chairperson of Provincial House of Traditional Leaders (PHTL).
The Commission further recommended a four percent (4 %) cost-of-living adjustment to the remuneration of the Local government: Municipal Councillors and six percent (6 %) for all Magistrates and from full-time member of the National House of Traditional Leaders (NHTL) to Headmen/Headwomen as well as sitting allowance for all members of NHTL and PHTL.
Salaries and allowances of different categories of public office bearers are determined by the President, after taking into account, amongst others, the recommendation of the Commission.