NMMU embarked on a public art project aligned to Vision 2020 and initiated by Arts and Culture.
The Madiba Shirt is part of the public art project, phase 1.
A call for proposals went out in the media and artists entered. Three artists were selected and sponsored to do small representations of the proposed works. These were displayed and the winning design, the Madiba shirt, was put forward by students and staff from the school of Music, Art and Design, NMMU. The frame of the Madiba shirt would be in metal with ceramic tiles, individually made, and joined by intricate wirework, making up the fabric.
The dimensions of the shirt are: 3m height, 2.2m width and 1.4m depth.
The project is a collective, learning approach, emphasizing “Ubuntu” – “I am because you are” the tiles link to Vision 2020 through the NMMU value words. It is intended to be a constant and inspirational reminder of the values of NMMU and Madiba.
Date: October 28, 2015 16:53
Click here for more: MyPE Images – MyPE (Latest images)
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Makhanda News: What you should go see at the National Arts Festival 2019 - 16 June 2019
- PE Business News: HOME AWAY FROM HOME: cozy, convienient, corporate - 16 June 2019
- Mthatha News: WSU takes legal action as students run amok - 16 June 2019
- Big interest in buffalo and hyena on Wildsfees auction – MyPR.co.za - 16 June 2019
- Sometimes the run is just a blur - 16 June 2019