Predictably the FMF Movement has declared their intent to not allow this to happen:
We did not mumble when we said that ours is free education and until then, ours will be pursuing the realisation of free education.
We partook in the mediation in good faith with the assumption that the University had come to the inevitable conclusion that joining our call would be beneficial to all higher education stakeholders including Universities. NMMU however responded by showing an unwillingness to reach a solution to this crisis by pulling out of the court mandated mediation process.
We therefore find it disingenuous of NMMU to resume operations when the court mandated mediation has not reached its conclusion.
A detailed communication on a way forward will be sent out to students tomorrow, but rest assured, asijiki singagqibanga! kwaye asikazujika singagqibanga!
#UntilFeesFall #Asijiki #AlutaContinua #WeAreClear #WeWillNotBeShaken #QinaMfundi
Recognising that their movement does not run on love and parents/bursary/grant money alone the FMF Movement posted a plea for support:
#URGENT: CALL FOR DONATIONS
In light of the protest action at our university, the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, we as the FeesMustFall Movement would like to appeal to you all to please be of aid to our plight as students on a noble cause for access and equality by a helpful donation of resources such as food, water, airtime, transportation and a hailer.
The Account Details have been attached below.
Bank: First National Bank (FNB)
Account Name: #FeesMustFall
Account Number: 62646847923
Branch Code: 210049
For more information or clarify seeking questions, please do not hesitate to call the following numbers:
076 200 0933 and 072 752 1306.
Yours in the struggle for FREE, DECOLONISED EDUCATION FOR ALL NOW!
Comments on Facebook (see image gallery for memes):
- Que Zengele Madikiza: This is what your so called NMMU Council deserves.
- Andrea Siwak: Why pretend that this academic year is going to continue. Student accommodation leases end in November, most students cannot afford an extra month of staying in PE and we were supposed to start exams in a week according to the old program. Can you stop wasting our time by preventing us from looking for work as well as wasting our money by staying in PE?
- Mathebula Methuselah: We do this on Monday… No school. Free Quality Decolonised Education is not yet realised. No Retreat. No surrender. We are the commander’s..
- Iam Glen Hardco Mafhuwa: hi. this is just a sincere reminder to those who might have forgotten…. Equipment required for Tuesday are below … asijiki #feeswillsoonfall
- Akhisizwe Nationbuilda Sidondi: Hello openists and fedupists
- Mathebula Methuselah: After the training from VUT…. the demons will manifest.
- Richard Donaldson: It will probably end here eventually
- Angus H Dicks: I wonder? Will the students work for free as well?
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- The State of the Electric Vehicle Market in South Africa - 3 April 2020
- No Evictions Please - 3 April 2020
- Police won’t accept non-compliant donations - 3 April 2020
- Police Minister elaborates on revisions to the Lockdown Regulations - 3 April 2020
- Ports implement heightened level of security protocols - 3 April 2020