Learners from schools across the Nelson Mandela Bay metro will be given the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in broadcast and online media through the annual Algoa FM Youth Day, which has been running since 2014.
After several weeks of training the youngsters are given responsibility of all the production, on-air and electronic media aspects of the station for the day on June 17.
“They are made to understand that the presenter may be the end product, but that the entire team is what makes this radio station work,” says programme manager Baydu Adams.
“Some, of course, make it on air. Just the other day I was tagged in a post that an ex Algoa FM Youth Day learner became Bay FM’s new Drive show jock.
“It is, to my knowledge, the third learner to work at a community radio station,” he says.
“This is a great opportunity and I love the idea of becoming a part of something.” says Kiara Bouw, who is a grade 11 student at Collegiate.
She says this is “dream come true” for not just her, but for her mother as well, because her mother loves the station.
Bouw and Carla Michaels will be the presenters on the morning DMB show, with Michael Kietzmann as producer.
Being part of the producing team at the station on youth day is a dream come true, as well as an “eye opener” to know what he wants to do in the very near future says Kietzmann, a grade 11 student at Newton Technical High school.
More Info on Next generation of media stars take over radio station here: http://algoafm.co.za
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- R77 million school construction project stalled since 2018 – News from GroundUp - 26 January 2020
- Malawi to host 2020 COSAFA U-17 championship again this year – Port Elizabeth in the News - 26 January 2020
- Uitenhage News: SA sinking … but scrapper Nortje shifts to A-tier - 26 January 2020
- Wood: I woke up feeling ready to charge in for England one more time – Port Elizabeth in the News - 26 January 2020
- Cheetahs snatch victory from the jaws of defeat – Port Elizabeth in the News - 25 January 2020