The Democratic Alliance (DA) has taken note of the appointment of Andre de Ruyter as the new Eskom CEO. We congratulate Mr. de Ruyter on his appointment.
It is no secret that Eskom has been brought to its knees by almost a decade of weak leadership and mismanagement. With experience in both the private and public sectors, Mr. de Ruyter has a wealth of experience and we implore upon him to use this experience to set Eskom on the right course to recovery.
Mr. de Ruyter has an unenviable task ahead of him and his priorities should include stabilising Eskom’s mammoth mountain of debt as well as ensuring a secure electricity grid for the nation.
Of course the only way we can truly achieve an efficient Eskom and an energy secure South Africa is when we break the utility’s monopoly over the energy sector – as set out in the DA’s Cheaper Electricity Bill.
The DA implores upon Mr. de Ruyter to remain independent and beyond reproach as he takes on his new role. We will keep a close eye on the developments at Eskom under his leadership and hope that he will always act in the best interest of Eskom and the public.
Natasha Mazzone MP
Chief Whip of the Official Opposition
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Cricket-Philander fined for swearing at England batsman – Port Elizabeth in the News - 27 January 2020
- England dominate again in Johannesburg – Port Elizabeth in the News - 26 January 2020
- 10 Best Plumbing Tips for DIY Plumbers – MyPR.co.za - 26 January 2020
- R77 million school construction project stalled since 2018 – News from GroundUp - 26 January 2020
- Malawi to host 2020 COSAFA U-17 championship again this year – Port Elizabeth in the News - 26 January 2020