The Democratic Alliance (DA) has taken note of the appointment of Andre de Ruyter as the new Eskom CEO. We congratulate Mr. de Ruyter on his appointment.
It is no secret that Eskom has been brought to its knees by almost a decade of weak leadership and mismanagement. With experience in both the private and public sectors, Mr. de Ruyter has a wealth of experience and we implore upon him to use this experience to set Eskom on the right course to recovery.
Mr. de Ruyter has an unenviable task ahead of him and his priorities should include stabilising Eskom’s mammoth mountain of debt as well as ensuring a secure electricity grid for the nation.
Of course the only way we can truly achieve an efficient Eskom and an energy secure South Africa is when we break the utility’s monopoly over the energy sector – as set out in the DA’s Cheaper Electricity Bill.
The DA implores upon Mr. de Ruyter to remain independent and beyond reproach as he takes on his new role. We will keep a close eye on the developments at Eskom under his leadership and hope that he will always act in the best interest of Eskom and the public.
Natasha Mazzone MP
Chief Whip of the Official Opposition
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Not keen to fly? Here’s how to get to Port Elizabeth from Joburg – Port Elizabeth in the News - 8 December 2019
- Mystery Limpopo outfit gets multi-million rand Lottery contract for old age home in Mpumalanga – News from GroundUp - 7 December 2019
- Bobani to challenge ousting in court – Port Elizabeth Business News - 7 December 2019
- The writing is on the wall for Eskom and our economy - 7 December 2019
- Former Boks boss to help Kings – Port Elizabeth in the News - 7 December 2019