Police spokesperson Mncedi Mbombo said the woman, whose name has not been released, had just left the church, which is on the corner of Singapi and Gunguluza Street in New Brighton, after an evening service at 21:30.
Congregants heard shots being fired outside before the woman came back into the church hall.
“The evening service had just ended and people were busy leaving, when shots rang out outside.
“The woman ran back into the church and an unknown suspect followed her inside and shot her in front of the other people,” said Mbombo.
She was shot several times by the man before he fled on foot.
The woman was rushed to hospital and was in a critical but stable condition.
Mbombo said police did not know the motive for the shooting, but were appealing to the public to come forward with the information that can help them to arrest the suspect.
Derrick Spies, News24 Correspondent
Latest posts by News24Wire (see all)
- Marinda Mills trial date set - 15 March 2016
- MP and official crash into one another - 15 March 2016
- St Albans prison warder kidnapped, raped by escapee - 10 March 2016
- No Witnesses to daylight killing - 19 February 2016
- Port Elizabeth DA councillor guilty of misusing funds - 16 February 2016