A myriad of activities will be taking place tomorrow (Wednesday, 18 July) to memorialize the giving and caring spirit Nelson Mandela, the late international icon and statesman our municipality is named after.
Mayoral Office: The Municipality will be hosting 100 school learners, from Grade 10 – 12, and give a representative from each school to pay tribute in honour of the legacy of Nelson Mandela. Each school will receive five frames containing memorable quotes from the late statesman to hang at their respective schools.
A luncheon for 100 homeless people living in the Central Business District and surrounding areas will take place at the City Hall from 10:00 to 12:30.
Office of the Chief Operating Officer: Political leaders and officials from the Office of the COO will be handing over stationary, sweets, toiletries and food items at the Khanyiselo Day Care Centre at 19 Goldriech Street, Soweto-on-Sea from 09:30. Learners from Missionvale’s Khanyisa Isibane Educare will receive special treatment from 11:20. See attached programme
Metro Police (Safety and Security): Metro Police Chief Yolande Faro, her management team, uniform and admin staff will participate in six events that will symbolically take place over six hours and seven minutes:
- 06H00 – Official Opening of the day’s activities at St George’s Park – Chief Yolanda Faro
- 06H00 – Cycling 100 kilometres within 6 hours and 7minutes – Around St George’s Park. Deputy Chief Moses will cycle for 100 kilometres (Other members will also join in on the cycling)
- 08H00 – Pampering session and handing out Soup and Vetkoek at Alan Hendricks Old Age home, Durban Road, Korsten. Members will be massaging, doing hair and nails of the elderly and thereafter provide them with a nice warm bowl of soup with vetkoek.
- 09H00 – Escort the children (27) from St Bard’s School for Autism to the St George’s Cricket stadium.
- 09H30 – Meet and Greet session with Warriors cricket team at St Georges Cricket stadium
- 10H00 – Meet and Greet session with Southern Kings rugby team at St Georges Cricket stadium
- 10H30 – Awareness session on Sexual Abuse – Good Touch Bad Touch
- 11H00 – Self Defence class for everyone present
- 11H30 – Walking of Animals at Animal Shelter for abused animals. (Animal Welfare Society, Victoria Drive)
Waste Management Sub-directorate (Public Health): Member of the Mayoral Committee for Public Health, Cllr Lance Grootboom, will lead a delegation of officials from Waste Management when cleaning up and plant trees in the vicinity of the Mendi Memorial, New Brighton. The official programme starts at 09:00. See attached programme.
Corporate Services: The Corporate Services directorate collected clothing and food donations for the impoverished Aloes community near the Swartkops River. It is planned to start a soup kitchen at 12:00 and to hand over donations simultaneously.
Budget and Treasury Directorate: Officials from the Budget and Treasury Directorate will be donating food and clothing at the Rosa Munch Old Age Home in Victoria Street, Uitenhage from 9am and the Ekuphumleni Old Age Home in Booi Street, Zwide at 12 noon.
Latest posts by NMB Communications (see all)
- Municipal IDP meetings to start on Monday - 17 August 2018
- Opposition walks out of Council - 16 August 2018
- Unlicensed driver lands ‘in die sop’ - 16 August 2018
- Integrated human settlements development for Summerstrand - 15 August 2018
- Public meetings for businesses and residents on Isuzu IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship route - 13 August 2018