The Democratic Mayors’ Gallery on display in the City Hall, Port Elizabeth is specific to those Mayors who were in office from 2001 when the amalgamated Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Municipality was established.
This important display of portraits, exhibited in City Hall, recognises the growing legacy of our constitutional democracy:
- Nceba C. Faku: 1995-2001 (PE Municipality), 2001 – 2006 (NMBMM)
- Nondumiso Maphazi: 2006 – 2009
- Zanoxolo G. Wayile: 2009 – 2013
- Nelson B. Fihla: 2013 – 2015
- Danny A. Jordaan: 2015 – 2016
Entrusted with protecting South Africa’s constitutional democracy, these Mayors were tasked with redressing the legacy of apartheid through delivering services to all the people of the Municipality.
This will serve as a reminder to all future Mayors that this position will require steadfast commitment and integrity, in service of our people.