The fight against Water Leaks and the acceleration of service delivery in Nelson Mandela Bay in terms of a commitment made by our political leadership have gained momentum. The commitments made by the Executive Mayor of Nelson Mandela Bay, Cllr Danny Jordaan and his leadership collective during his first Council address earlier this year are bearing fruit: over the past six months, a marked acceleration in service delivery has been evident, delivered by a responsive and caring government; cooperative governance was improved and intensified; and more spending was done on core service delivery areas, such as Human Settlements, Waste Management and Infrastructure and Engineering.
Also testifying to the above resolute commitment by the political leadership to accelerate service delivery, today, December 10, 2015, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, through its Directorate for Infrastructure and Engineering, will unveil 16 SERVICE DELIVERY TRUCKS worth R13.5 million. The trucks will mainly but not exclusively be used by staff fixing water leaks and for road maintenance (fixing of potholes).
As part of the broader programme of dealing with water losses, the Directorate will also launch a Service Delivery Ambassador Programme at the same event tomorrow, 10 December 2015. This Programme will see the Municipality acquiring the services of young people from across the City to act as its Ward based Ambassadors, serving as the eyes and ears of the institution, especially regarding challenges around water, sanitation and general service delivery. These Service Delivery Ambassadors will be tasked to collect service delivery information from their respective wards.
The duties and responsibilities of the Service Delivery Ambassadors include the following:
- Creating awareness of the water services value chain.
- Undertaking door-to-door visits to households explaining the importance of water conservation, sanitation, hygiene and environmental management.
- Checking water meter readers.
- Presenting road shows and campaigns on water, sanitation and service delivery issues across Nelson Mandela Bay.
- Liaising with Ward Councillors, Ward Committees, municipal officials who are working in service delivery directorates, such as Infrastructure and Engineering, Waste
- Management, Human Settlements, Budget and Treasury and other related government departments.
The trucks will be unveiled on the Vuyisile Mini Square at 12h00 today.