On Wednesday 22 May 2019, ten Democratic Alliance members were sworn in as members of the sixth sitting of the Eastern Cape Provincial Legislature, and as the official opposition in the province.
The members are:
- Nqaba Bhanga
- Bobby Stevenson
- Yusuf Cassim
- Marshall von Buchenroder
- Vicky Knoetze
- Retief Odendaal
- Jane Cowley
- Nomvano Zibonda
- Edmund van Vuuren
- Sanele Magaqa
These individuals bring with them a mix of skill, expertise and experience that puts them in good stead to serve the people of the Eastern Cape.
I have also appointed Bobby Stevenson as chief whip of the party. Bobby brings with him a wealth of experience, as the longest serving member now in his fifth term, and has served the party well as the leader of the provincial legislature during the fifth sitting.
I will, in due course, also be announcing our shadow MECs, who will be tasked with holding their counterparts to account.
The DA, as the official opposition in the legislature, will be guided by the following two principles:
- holding the provincial government accountable for the exercise of their powers, and
- putting forward fresh ideas and credible alternatives to government plans and policies.
We will not oppose and critique just for the sake of it, we will be a complimentary and robust opposition, that will engage in the practice of constructive opposition.
Where we are in government, we have shown that even under harsh economic circumstances there can be growth, job creation, and the improvement of living conditions for all – especially the poor.
We will use these examples as a yard stick of what can be accomplished through good governance and learn from the successes to develop terms of best practice.
The role of the DA as the Official Opposition has never been more important, and the DA will work each and every day to fight for the values of Freedom, Fairness, Opportunity and Diversity, as we strive to build One South Africa for All.
Eastern Cape Provincial Leader
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Uitenhage News: Uitenhage public works employees want permanent jobs - 19 June 2019
- Contemplative Run - 19 June 2019
- Grahamstown News: Lights, water, action … Makhanda show will go on despite crises - 19 June 2019
- Flying the Flag - 19 June 2019
- Great God Almighty – Stacey Gibbs - 19 June 2019