Port Elizabeth – ANC MP Mlungisi “Lulu” Johnson and Nelson Mandela Bay municipality’s director of economic development Anele Qaba crashed into one another, allegedly while driving drunk over the weekend.
They were expected to appear in the Port Elizabeth Magistrate’s Court on Monday on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol.
Port Elizabeth police spokesperson Sandra Janse van Rensburg said the crash took place on Allister Muller Drive in Humewood just after midnight on Sunday.
Both drivers were released on bail and warned to appear in court.
Johnson confirmed that the accident had taken place, but declined to comment further.
“The matter is in the court, thank you,” he said.
The DA’s caucus leader in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro, Retief Odendaal, said the arrests were disappointing, as both men were senior leaders.
“Mr Qaba has got approximately 700 employees, I think, answerable to him in his directorate. MP Johnson is also a very senior figure within the ruling party, within the Nelson Mandela Bay, so it’s very disappointing that something like that could occur.”
Mpho Raborife, News24
Latest posts by News24Wire (see all)
- Marinda Mills trial date set - 15 March 2016
- MP and official crash into one another - 15 March 2016
- St Albans prison warder kidnapped, raped by escapee - 10 March 2016
- No Witnesses to daylight killing - 19 February 2016
- Port Elizabeth DA councillor guilty of misusing funds - 16 February 2016