The Isuzu Southern Kings can confirm that hooker Michael Willemse has indicated to the franchise that he is in talks with Scottish side Edinburgh.
It has been widely reported in various media publications that the 25-year-old Willemse, who captained the Isuzu Southern Kings in its debut season in 2017/18 and the early part of the 2018/19 season before he was sidelined by a shoulder injury, has signed for Edinburgh. However, the player has indicated that while no deal has been finalised, he is in talks with the Scottish side.
“Michael Willemse has spoken to us to indicate that he and his agent are in the advanced stages of talks with Edinburgh for a possible move to the Scottish team,” Isuzu Southern Kings Chief Operations Officer, Charl Crous, said on Monday.
“Michael has been an integral part of our team and has emphasised his commitment to the Isuzu Southern Kings until the end of his contract with the franchise.”
Willemse, who is a former scholar at Grey High School in Port Elizabeth, joined the Isuzu Southern Kings ahead of their final Vodacom Super Rugby season in 2017 where he quickly established himself as one of the key players for the side.
The former SA under-20 player is contracted with the Isuzu Southern Kings until the end of June 2019.
The Isuzu Southern Kings will not make further comment on the matter until it has been finalised by all parties.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Port Elizabeth brings its best to the 2019 ENGEN Pitch & Polish event - 15 July 2019
- Implementing Liquefied Natural Gas with Coega as the Hub - 15 July 2019
- Leopard relocation dispute – Buffalo Kloof Private Game Reserve’s response - 15 July 2019
- Filipino Crewman Evacuated off Bulk Carrier - 15 July 2019
- One More Reason Why Foreign Visitors are a God Send - 15 July 2019