May your entire day be filled with love, joy and wonder as you celebrate the true meaning of Christmas today.
And for those who are not really of the Christian persuasion but still benefit from the Christmas Season please spare a thought for the message of goodwill that Christmas brings.
Here in South Africa we are a diverse nation that should be celebrating important events along with our fellow citizens.
In today’s madly politically correct world ‘Merry Christmas’ did become less politically correct in favor of the less religiously charged ‘Happy Holidays’ or ‘Season’s Greetings’.
With the rise of diversity sensitivity here are a few tips ahead of Christmas Lunch:
- Make sure that Christmas Lunch is one that caters for: Vegans, Carnivores, Christians, Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Buddists and other religions.
- Make provision for disabled guests.
- Choose a time that does not clash with any other religious events.
- Provide chairs of varying heights so that all (children to adults) can look at each other eye to eye.
- Give presents that are non gender specific, non toxic, made from fair trade components by fair trade companies and that are all exactly the same price.
- Display religious icons from all religions celebrating Christmas.
- Provide an interpreter and a sign language expert.
- Do a full risk assessment of the venue before hand – which may include kitchen inspections and observations of food handling techniques.
- Provide an array of non-alcoholic drinks and a safety lecture on the dangers of over indulgence.
- Insist on recyclable/re-usable Christmas present wrapping.
- Provide a Christmas tree made from recycled material.
- Strictly ration, food and desserts according to weight.
- Provide cards with suggestions of acceptable topics to discuss around the table.