According to a report in the Jacksonville Times The Jacksonville Sister Cities Association is holding a fund-raising banquet later this month to buy medical supplies for Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, one of Jacksonville’s eight sister cities around the world.
And Executive Mayor Oom Benson Fihla, is expected to be the keynote speaker at the 21 August, which will celebrate Mandela’s life.
Jacksonville has been a sister city to the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality since 2000.
Guests at the event will include the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality delegation, representatives of the South African Embassy in Washington, D.C., and local dignitaries and elected officials.
The Jacksonville Sister Cities Association, said that it is hoping to raise between $7,000 and $10,000 to buy medical supplies.
Editor: Am I getting this right? Ratepayers get to spend huge amounts of money on air tickets for the Mayor and his delegation so that they can (maybe) collect between R70 000 and R100 000? If that is the case then I am so glad that our political masters didn’t go into business!
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Toyota Cheetahs will enter match as favourites - 23 January 2020
- Municipal boundary determination process gets underway - 23 January 2020
- Road fatalities down by 10% - 23 January 2020
- Shawn Govender – New Plant Manager of the Ford Struandale Engine Plant - 23 January 2020
- Water From Air Project Receives Stars of Africa Award - 23 January 2020