According to a report in the Jacksonville Times The Jacksonville Sister Cities Association is holding a fund-raising banquet later this month to buy medical supplies for Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality, one of Jacksonville’s eight sister cities around the world.
And Executive Mayor Oom Benson Fihla, is expected to be the keynote speaker at the 21 August, which will celebrate Mandela’s life.
Jacksonville has been a sister city to the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality since 2000.
Guests at the event will include the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality delegation, representatives of the South African Embassy in Washington, D.C., and local dignitaries and elected officials.
The Jacksonville Sister Cities Association, said that it is hoping to raise between $7,000 and $10,000 to buy medical supplies.
Editor: Am I getting this right? Ratepayers get to spend huge amounts of money on air tickets for the Mayor and his delegation so that they can (maybe) collect between R70 000 and R100 000? If that is the case then I am so glad that our political masters didn’t go into business!
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- The Port of Port Elizabeth Comes Second - 19 November 2019
- Eastern Cape SMME’s Receive R41.8 Million Loan Funding - 19 November 2019
- Unique D-MAX aerial platform application - 19 November 2019
- Andre de Ruyter – Eskom’s new group chief executive - 19 November 2019
- Framesby bolster hockey, netball resources - 19 November 2019