Mastertons Coffee and Tea Specialists donation drives animal sterilisations within the local community.
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, 10 April 2018- Mastertons Coffee and Tea Specialists, Port Elizabeth’s original coffee roastery has recently donated over R17 000 to Animal Welfare Society Port Elizabeth. (AWS PE). This donation was collected through sales of hessian coffee bags and will assist AWS PE in its goal to lower shelter intake numbers and prevent animal cruelty and neglect through spaying or neutering.
This donation is the biggest to date from Mastertons to AWS PE and is credited to the support received from coffee lovers across Nelson Mandela Bay who purchase hessian bags from the coffee roastery. Green coffee beans are transported in these hessian bags from coffee growing countries around the world and can be reused for various purposes due to their sturdy nature.
“Many pets from disadvantaged backgrounds will benefit from the donation”, says AWS PE Fundraiser Cynthea van Rhijn. AWS PE runs a bi-weekly clinic in Walmer Township that assists with primary health care and assessing animals that need sterilisation. Pets that need to be sterilised are booked in to be operated on by the AWS PE Veterinarian. According to AWS PE, just one unneutered male and one unspayed female can over a 6-year period result in offspring of about 67 000 dogs. The Mastertons donation will assist to curb the epidemic of uncontrolled breeding. The Mastertons donation will assist in curbing the epidemic of uncontrolled breeding.
Mastertons Company Director Ryler Masterton assisted AWS PE’s field workers at a recent clinic and befriended local Walmer township resident Trevor Hoyi. Hoyi’s dogs will benefit from the Mastertons donation and have been selected to be sterilised by AWS PE. “We are pleased to be able to assist”, said Masterton, “and we are positive the donation will help AWSPE to continue offering these vital services in the community.”
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Azamara® Expands Partnership with World Wildlife Fund to Unveil Destination Conservation Shore Excursions and Themed-Sailings, a First for WWF – Port Elizabeth in the News - 12 December 2019
- Farmers turn to government en masse as EC drought worsens – MyPR.co.za - 12 December 2019
- Madibaz women take bronze at USSA water polo week – MyPR.co.za - 12 December 2019
- Warren and the Lightweight – Team Sailing League Regatta - 12 December 2019
- Mamelodi floods: “I watched as my shack was swept away” – News from GroundUp - 12 December 2019