The Democratic Alliance welcomes the judgement by the Eastern Cape High Court to dismiss an application to set aside findings by the Public Protector, Adv. Busisiwe Mkhwebane, regarding the R330 million Nelson Mandela Funeral Scandal.
The court on Thursday, 8 March 2019, dismissed an application by provincial government Director-General, Ms. Marion Mbina-Mthembu, to have findings regarding the looting of state funds for the funeral and memorial service of former PresNelson Mandela set aside.
The Mandela Funeral Report by the Public Protector investigates allegations of the misappropriation of public funds to the value of R330 million and improper conduct and maladministration, by among others, the Eastern Cape Provincial Government.
In December 2017 the DA laid criminal charges against Mbina-Mthembu and other implicated officials at the East London Police Station and will now be seeking an update on the investigation.
During Ms Mbina-Mthembu’s tenure as Head of the Provincial Treasury she violated the Constitution, Treasury Regulations as well as the Public Finance Management Finance Act (PFMA) by authorising decisions that are described as “irrational” and “unlawful”.
The Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities empowers the SAPS to investigate the most severe forms of corruption and it must do so.
A DA government will fight corruption and anyone found guilty of corruption will be sentenced to 15 years in jail.
The DA’s plan to fight corruption is simple:
- Establishing an independent unit dedicated to identifying, fighting and prosecuting corruption.
- Ensuring the payment of all public money is transparent.
- Bringing in direct elections for all political office holders so that the South African people can hold their president, premiers and mayors directly accountable.
- Implementing regular lifestyle audits for all politicians and government officials.
- Protecting and encouraging ‘whistleblowers’ who identify and report on corrupt activities.
- The actions of the ANC Government in the Eastern Cape shows that the ANC will steal at any cost, even if it undermines Mandela’s name and legacy.
Only a DA government can build One South Africa for All.
DA EC Premier Candidate
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Maimane resigns as DA leader, Trollip follows – Port Elizabeth in the News - 23 October 2019
- EC Government racks up over 1,2 million days of sick leave in two and half years - 23 October 2019
- Uitenhage News: Four charities to benefit from annual Big Walk for Cancer - 23 October 2019
- Ironman Washing Machine - 23 October 2019
- Hard work pays dividends for Madibaz athlete – MyPR.co.za - 23 October 2019