The ban of South African chicken by neighbouring countries will have a negative impact as Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana account for a substantial number of our broiler exports. The ban is a major blow to the local industry which has been grappling a downturn over the last two years.
Dawie Maree, Head of Information and Marketing for Agriculture at FNB Business said; “We can only hope that the current ban from neighbouring countries is temporary because if it lasts longer than a few more months, the industry could find itself shedding a further estimated 2500 jobs, and see a dent of 0,13% on output and Gross Value Added. The grain industry would also most likely take a knock as they provide feed to the poultry industry.”
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Update: 9 December Loadshedding Menu of Darkness – Stage 4 - 9 December 2019
- Police Seek Missing 7-year-old boy - 9 December 2019
- PE Cops turning the tide on crime - 9 December 2019
- 8 December 2019 Loadshedding Menu of Darkness – Stage 2 - 9 December 2019
- Have you seen Kefas Marufu? - 8 December 2019