The ban of South African chicken by neighbouring countries will have a negative impact as Zimbabwe, Namibia and Botswana account for a substantial number of our broiler exports. The ban is a major blow to the local industry which has been grappling a downturn over the last two years.
Dawie Maree, Head of Information and Marketing for Agriculture at FNB Business said; “We can only hope that the current ban from neighbouring countries is temporary because if it lasts longer than a few more months, the industry could find itself shedding a further estimated 2500 jobs, and see a dent of 0,13% on output and Gross Value Added. The grain industry would also most likely take a knock as they provide feed to the poultry industry.”
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Land at Latimers Again - 23 July 2019
- Really? #funnysigns - 23 July 2019
- Treasury proposes additional R59bn for Eskom - 23 July 2019
- Business of Sport Indaba – #sindaba - 23 July 2019
- Please intervene in Inxuba Yethemba Municipality administration - 23 July 2019