The DA welcomes the decision by the Makhanda High Court to dismiss Nelson Mandela Bay ANC Coucillor Andile Lungisa’s appeal against his conviction.
Cllr Lungisa was sentenced to an effective two years in jail after he broke a glass water jug over the head of DA councillor Rano Kayser during a council meeting in 2016.
This decision is a good lesson for politicians such as Cllr Lungisa. According to the Constitution all individuals have the right to be protected and nobody is allowed to take the law into their own hands.
Politicians like Cllr Lungisa are not above the laws of the country and the rules of council.
The DA respects that he now has the right to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Appeal, but we want to state clearly that Cllr Lungisa is a threat to the people of NMB and must be stopped.
The people of South Africa can see for themselves that the ANC and its politicians will threaten lives in order to engage in acts of corruption, but when it comes to fighting for the people, they sit on their hands.
Only DA government can build One South Africa for All by ensuring the rule of law and clean governance.
DA EC Premier Campaign Spokesperson
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- The Lottery and the missing minstrel museum – News from GroundUp - 22 February 2020
- Agar takes hat-trick as Australia hammer South Africa in first T20 – Port Elizabeth Business News - 22 February 2020
- The Australian spinner highlighted that he aspires to become someone like India’s Ravindra Jadeja. – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 February 2020
- Cricket-Agar hat-trick helps Australia thrash S.Africa in first T20 – Port Elizabeth in the News - 22 February 2020
- Port Elizabeth: Woman arrested for possession of suspected stolen motorcycles – Port Elizabeth Business News - 21 February 2020