It’s time for some end of year fun with the Port Elizabeth Gilbert and Sullivan (G&S) Society’s production of Back to the 80s which opens on 31 October 2012. This juke box musical is a celebration of the decade that brought us big hair, shoulder pads, Rubiks Cubes and MacGyver not to mention some fabulous music that has stood the test of time. Hits songs in Back to the 80s include Footloose, 9 to 5, I’m Gonna Be (500 miles), Dancin’ on the Ceiling, Material Girl, Love Shack, Girls Just Wanna Have Fun and Wake Me up Before you Go Go all wrapped up with a foot stomping Megamix to close the show.
G&S is excited to announce that Back to the 80s will be directed by Stageworld Theatre School Principal and multi award winner Marlene Pieterse fresh from her amazing production of Medea. Richard Campbell is Musical Director and Bennie Gerber joins us for his first outing as a choreographer for G&S after many stellar on-stage performances.
Back to the 80s is a classic teenage romance set in the William Ocean High School in 1989 and told by the narrator Corey Palmer as he looks back on his school years. All our characters are playfully named in homage to the singers, actors and other pop culture icons of the 80s for example, Alf Bueller, Tiffany Houston and teachers Mr Cocker and Miss Brannigan. Although our characters are teenagers we are looking for people of any age who can move well and have a youthful look and outlook – anyone is welcome to audition for what promises to be a fun-filled show.
An orientation evening will be held on Monday 20th August from 7.00pm at the Savoy Theatre. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in auditioning to learn more about the show, meet the creative team and find out what the audition panel are looking for. Most importantly it will help everyone really get a feel for this fabulous decade through the music, films and pop culture of the 80s. No booking is necessary but you can find out more from Rose Cowpar on 072 906 1977.
Principal roles include:
- Corey Palmer as a 17 year old, the hero of the story in his senior year at William Ocean HS.
- Corey Palmer as an adult who narrates the show.
- Tiffany Houston, a cute, bubbly Madonna wannabe and Corey’s love interest and next door neighbor who is much more interested in Michael Feldman.
- Michael Feldman, a car-driving Fonzie-styled football player and the coolest guy in school.
- Feargal McFerrin III the school nerd whose visions of life in the 2000s are constantly laughed at – who would believe a telephone that could fit in the palm of your hand!
Auditionees are encouraged to come along to the Orientation although it is not a requirement. Auditions will be held on Friday 24th and Saturday 25th August and an Audition Package is available which has all the important information about auditions, available roles and the show. For an Audition Package, to book an audition time or for more information, call Rose Cowpar on 072 906 1977.
Some 80’s Fun:
Footloose by Kenny Loggins with Lyrics (Just in case you are going to audition and DON’T know the lyrics!)
MacGyver and an American journalist escape capture from a South American dictator.
Madonna in the 80’s
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Kirsty Iversen at Work - 22 January 2020
- The Market Leader in Medium and Heavy Commercial Segments - 22 January 2020
- Oversight inspection at Jubilee Park Primary, Uitenhage - 22 January 2020
- How to choose the the correct legal status for your business - 21 January 2020
- Tell That to the Victims! - 21 January 2020