The father and son team of Neels and Jan Vosloo won the annual Fountains Mall Rally held in and around Jeffreys Bay on the 13th of October.
15 entrants in two classes started the rally in the Fountains Mall parking area Saturday morning. After the first two gravel stages the crowd in the mall parking lot was entertained to some extremely skilled driving and the sound and smell of high performance race cars as the field competed in a special stage set out especially for spectators. The field returned to the mall a few times during the day after stages in the Sands Complex, Bluewaters Estate and Kabeljouws.
Neels decided to get involved in motorsport only a year ago at this very rally as he was watching his now rivals compete. Their Nissan Sentra Sti, backed by Tiger Wheel & Tyre Jeffreys Bay, developed a gearbox problem in stage 2 but they managed to drive around the problem and post competitive stage times winning 5 of the 11 stages on their way to a class and overall victory and awesome prizes from Gabriel’s Jewellers.
Rallying in the Eastern Cape is alive and well and anybody that wish to get involved in the sport as competitor, sponsor or other can contact Mark Irvine (0827062590) or Neville Bartle (0842001633)
Pictures and video clips of the events can be found on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/115209375187462/
Author: Algoa Rally Club
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- New MPL Fezeka Mbiko sworn in - 19 February 2019
- King Williams Town News: STEVE BIKO’S WIFE AT HIS FUNERAL IN KING WILLIAM’S TOWN 1977 - 19 February 2019
- Makhanda News: Makhanda water crisis deepens - 19 February 2019
- Bloody Nose for Errant Councillors - 19 February 2019
- Mthatha News: Two arrested for unlicensed firearms around Mthatha Cluster - 19 February 2019