Intrepid PE based adventure swimmer, Kyle Main has swum all of the Eastern Cape’s major rivers, except the Kariega, which he aims to conquer this Sunday (16 February 2014).
With pioneering swims of the Kowie River (24km), Bushmans River (35km), Sundays River (25km), Swartkops River (16.5km) and Gamtoos River (22km) already under his speedo, only the Kariega, eludes him.
Main expects a 4 to 5 hour, 24km swim to the mouth, which he will complete continuously, stopping briefly in the water to take on hydration from a seconding crew.
“The Kariega will be my last river swim as it completes the full set of major swimmable rivers in the region”, he says.
The Kariega will also serve as a springboard to his next adventure the Rottnest channel a 20km sea swim from Cottesloe Beach in Perth to Rottnest Island on the 23 March.
The Rottnest Channel is regarded worldwide and one of Australia’s iconic event swims and follows his successful completion of another iconic swim – the Straits of Gibraltor from Spain to Morocco, last year.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Yacht Aerial Assisted – NOT in PE, though - 17 July 2018
- Nelson Mandela Day - 17 July 2018
- Township and Rural Economies to Come Under Spotlight at National Summit in East London - 17 July 2018
- New Title Sponsor for Ironman 70.3 World Championships - 16 July 2018
- Rocket Building, Deep Secrets and the Road to Mvezo - 16 July 2018