Southern Kings (3) 29, Jaguares (6) 22: The Kings outscored the visiting Jaguares by four tries to one, handing them a try-scoring bonus point and only their second win of the season. Their tries came through prop Schalk Ferreira, a penalty try, Dewald Human and Wandile Mjekevu. No 8 Facundo Isa scored the Jaguares’ only try.
The visitors were reduced to 13 men before halftime after lock Tomás Lavanini and prop Ramiro Herrera both were red carded in the 25th and 37th minute, respectively. However, despite the numerical advantage, the Kings struggled to break the Jaguares’ defence. They only managed to pull away in the last 10 minutes, when the Jaguares went down to 12 players due to the yellow card of Tomas Lezana.
At that point the Kings were trailing 22-10, but they managed to score three tries in the final minutes. A Louis Fouche penalty early in the first half and two goal kicks by Argentina flyhalf Nicolas Sánchez brought the halftime score to 6-3. Sánchez added three more penalties in the second half.
Debutant Dewald Human, who replaced Jürgen Visser early in the first half, ran in the home side’s third try while speedster Wandile Mjekevu, on loan from the Sharks, added the fourth and bonus-point try for the Kings.
- Southern Kings: Tries: Schalk Ferreira, Penalty try, Dewald Human, Wandile Mjekevu. Conversions: Louis Fouche (3). Penalties: Fouche.
- Jaguares: Try: Facundo Isa. Conversion: Nicolas Sanchez. Penalties: Sanchez (5)
The win with a bonus point places the Kings above the Sunwolves who both have 9 points.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- The Top Table - 16 August 2019
- 2 deceased in tragic boating accident - 16 August 2019
- OUTA plans to challenge the AARTO Amendment Act - 16 August 2019
- 10 Out of 11 Isuzu Southern Kings Games to be played at NMB Stadium - 16 August 2019
- The scene from which the Team Sailing League will kick off on 14 September 2019 - 16 August 2019