Images from our 2000 Cape to Rio De Janeiro trip have been lying in a scrap book waiting the motivation to digitise and share them. This video represents a portion of the images and press cuttings from that incredible trip.
On 8 January 2000, Alan and Glynnis set off with 4 crew on the Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro Yacht Race on Myott Chubb Protector. Algoa Bay Yacht Club was well represented with Greenwich Warrior (Phil Gutsche) and High Noon (Jon Gailbraith also taking part in the 76 strong fleet. Dubbed the “Toughest Rio Yet” only 32 yachts made the cut off with many retirements and a sinking.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Are you up! for a speed challenge? - 16 August 2017
- If the Cold Snap and 148.9 mm Rain fills our dams then Bring It On! - 16 August 2017
- Forcing transparency and accountability in municipalities - 16 August 2017
- Southern Kings retain Deon Davids for Guinness Pro14 - 15 August 2017
- The Economic Impact of the Springboks test could be North of R150 Million - 15 August 2017