Images from our 2000 Cape to Rio De Janeiro trip have been lying in a scrap book waiting the motivation to digitise and share them. This video represents a portion of the images and press cuttings from that incredible trip.
On 8 January 2000, Alan and Glynnis set off with 4 crew on the Cape Town to Rio de Janeiro Yacht Race on Myott Chubb Protector. Algoa Bay Yacht Club was well represented with Greenwich Warrior (Phil Gutsche) and High Noon (Jon Gailbraith also taking part in the 76 strong fleet. Dubbed the “Toughest Rio Yet” only 32 yachts made the cut off with many retirements and a sinking.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Road Fatalities Down - 22 January 2018
- Ramaphosa fires a salvo into one of Zuma’s biggest corruption camps - 22 January 2018
- Study finds corruption hurts local R&D and innovation - 22 January 2018
- Microplastic Particles Reach Antarctica - 22 January 2018
- Manganese Ore Dust Pollution – Monday 22 January 2018 - 22 January 2018