On Saturday 15 October the Aldo Scribante Racetrack in Port Elizabeth played host to the penultimate round of the Interprovincial Africa Endurance Series. Saturday’s racing was the Mopar 3 Hour Endurance race in which teams of classic racers driven by two drivers vied to complete as many laps of the 2.48 km long circuit within 3 hours.
Just over a minute separated the top two cars who both completed 135 laps.
In second place was Simon Murray who secured enough points to be crowned the 2016 Mopar African Endurance champion ahead of the last event in Cape Town. Murray’s strong second place with co-driver Nick Adcock in the Rico Barlow Racing/Aid Call 24/7 Ligier JS49 secured the team their victory.
Duncan and Graham Vos of Team Ecurie 200 won the dramatic Scribante leg, which was red-flagged after mid distance when Doug MacDonald’s Shelby made contact with the pit entrance tyre wall, blocking the track after something appeared to break on the car. MacDonald escaped unhurt and the track was soon cleared allowing racing to resume as the two leaders swapped places several times racing into the darkness. Less than a lap separated the race winning Vos Juno from the title-clinching Ligier in the end.
The Africa Endurance Series is open by invitation to all Saloons, Sports & GT and Sports Racing closed wheel cars meeting certain defined regulations.
Leading up to Saturday’s racing the cars had already completed racing at:
- Phakisa – Welkom (6 Hours) on 27 February;
- Dezzi – Port Shepstone (1 Hour) on 14 May;
- East London – (3 Hours) on 23 July and
- Zwartkops – Pretoria (3 Hours) on 3 September.
With the Port Elizabeth leg done and dusted the cars will now move down to the Killarney race track in Cape Town for the big 6 hour finale on 12 November 2016.
African Endurance Aldo Scribante 3 Hour Results:
- Duncan Vos/Graham Vos (Ecurie Zoo Juno SSV6) 135 laps
- Nick Adcock/Simon Murray (AidCall 24/7 Rico Barlow Ligier JS49) +1m 05.743s
- Mike Verrier/Wayne Jardine (Aid Call 24/7 Shelby-Nissan) 128 laps
- Christian Ellis/Ian Riddle (Mastercrete Auto Magic BMW 328i) 123 laps
- Theo Van Vuuren/Bradley Scorer (Alfa Romeo SA GT) 122 laps
- Hennie Trollip/Dave Sinclair (Helderberg Propshafts Lotus Seven) 121 laps
- Adrian Dalton/Wayne Lebotschy Xtra Clothing VW Golf 119 laps
- Steve Truter/Wayne Lotter (Sasolburg Autobody BMW M3)+9.235s
- Mike Altona/Steve Pickering (Classic Motorsport Porsche 910) 116 laps
- Dean Ball/ Dorian Garvie (BMW 328i) 114 laps
- Neil Macleod Andreas Letnick Just Racing 114 laps
- Kelvin Reynolds/Bryan Heine HeineSport VSP S2000 104 laps