During the Optimist Selections this past week, Erika and Harry and myself manned the finish boat – a highly technical job requiring a strong back and arms, resistance to the sun, the ability to talk cr*p to keep yourself entertained, mastery of basic mathematics involving counting to 30, the ability to write and tell the time as well as being able to discern a certain number of basic angles.
But, the devil does find work for idle hands and, in my case, I sneaked a Lloyd Chumming Maneuvere – albeit a very amatuer Lloyd Chumming Maneuvere at that – by trying my hand at a bit of ‘chumming’ for the hungry Skua that landed next to our boat. Who could resist those hopeful hungry eyes?
So we tossed bits of a single left over muffin into the air for our newfound feathered friend.
The result? The image below of intense concentration as the Skua aims for the tasty muffin morsel.
You may well wonder why didn’t he wait for the muffin to land on the sea and then eat it? The answer is quite simple – I explained to him that if he let one morsel land on the sea his benefactors may be accused of chumming and receive a LARGE fine as is about to happen to the person after whom the Lloyd Chumming Maneuvere is named.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Grey Hammers Grey - 21 July 2019
- So, Allow the Cynic in me to comment on Round Umpteen of the Proposed Fish Farm - 21 July 2019
- Colourful Kanu - 20 July 2019
- Child support grants cannot be used as income in credit applications - 19 July 2019
- New recycling process to help tackle the world’s plastic waste problem - 19 July 2019