BUT, with one massive difference – this sweet shop only has three different sweet models to choose from…..
Cue, lick smacking sugar rush opportunity for me as I salivated the the prospect of getting to actually drive and review the Hyundai Kona Electric vehicle available for purchase in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
Don’t forget our date with an EV, Leonie!
ALSO – on the EV Range Meter the Hyundai Electric Kona is currently the most kWh efficient vehicle on the list, edging the VW E-up off of top spot AND giving a much longer range.
The ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) Version of the Hyundai Kona is based on the i30 hatchback with crossover appeal and competes against cars such as the Nissan Juke, Renault Captur and Opel Mokka X, among others.
The ICE Kona launched during October 2018 in South Africa Hyundai offers 2 derivatives for our market.
- Kona 1.0 TGDI Executive Manual – from R379900.00
- Kona 2.0 NU Executive Automatic – from R399900.00
The EV Hyundai Kona pricing in the UK is as follows:
- 29 000 pounds LESS The Government 4000 pound subsidy = R25 000 pounds
In South African terms that would be:
- R526 454.00 (IF SA had a Government subsidy equivalent to the UK’s then the sticker price would be R453 840,00)
The Kona is stirring up interest in North America and gathering accolades which include, North American Utility Vehicle of the Year, and the 2019 Edmunds Editors’ Choice for Best EV.
“We give the Kona Electric high marks for its excellent combination of price and range, but also really love its comfort, responsiveness, and sophisticated ride quality,” said Alistair Weaver, editor-in-chief, Edmunds.
The Irish Independent review by Eddie Cunningham notes; “And now I’ll stick my neck out: you’ll get 410km without great difficulty if you drive half-moderately on your urban or rural journeys. That makes the Kona, despite price and poor cabin space, the one the others have to beat. We have taken a big step towards electric driving for a major audience with this.”
Writing a review for The drive, Lawrence Ulrich said; “After stuffing the Kona’s battery, I drove it 120 miles to Long Island and back, then all over New York for the remainder of a week—without ever having to think about another charge. That ability, to drive an EV without having to think about driving an EV, makes the Kona one of the best mainstream electric cars yet.”
The North American offering is a choice of 3 models all with a 150 kW (201 HP) Electric Motor:
- SEL: $36,450 (R512 785,89)
- Limited: $41,150 (R578 906,43)
- Ultimate: $44,650 (R628 145,13)
Excluding Government Subsidy
* Drive past the Hyundai Building on William Moffett at night and marvel at the incredible, energy efficient, showroom lighting installed by THESE GUYS!
You can help the quiet revolution along by installing an EV Charging station outside your Guest House, Hotel, Coffee Shop, Restaurant, Shopping Centre or in your forecourt. Contact Straton Electrical for EV Charging Station options.
Tell MyPE your sentiments around Electric Vehicles:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Keep your Eyes peeled for this Brydes Whale in Distress - 24 March 2019
- Father and Son Rescued off Rocks - 24 March 2019
- Brydes Whale in Danger at Riy Banks - 24 March 2019
- Isuzu Southern Kings’ fighting spirit not enough - 24 March 2019
- Cradock 4 Garden of Remembrance - 24 March 2019