Municipal employees are working non-stop to restore water supply to Uitenhage by at least 15:00 this afternoon following the burst of a 700 mm in diameter pipe on Monday. Initial attempts to reach the location of the burst pipe on Monday were thwarted due to inclement weather and inaccessible terrain for the heavy machinery needed for the operation.
The pipeline was eventually repaired late yesterday afternoon and the supply slowly opened but by 22:00 the water had not yet reached the reservoirs. It was then discovered that the newly replaced section of the pipe had moved out of alignment and was leaking badly.
The new section of pipe was now replaced with a longer section this morning. The municipality said that they plan to restore water supply by at least 15:00 but request residents to be patient as water pressure will start building from then.
Water tankers will remain at strategic locations in the affected areas.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- OK That is it! New Rules for Twitter Engagements - 3 December 2016
- Christmas comes early at the Business Chamber - 3 December 2016
- Boardwalk Casino is ranked best in its class in SA’s biggest consumer survey - 3 December 2016
- Swimming and water safety at Bubbles Swimming School Holiday Club - 3 December 2016
- Ray of Light amidst new vehicle sales decline - 3 December 2016