Municipal employees are working non-stop to restore water supply to Uitenhage by at least 15:00 this afternoon following the burst of a 700 mm in diameter pipe on Monday. Initial attempts to reach the location of the burst pipe on Monday were thwarted due to inclement weather and inaccessible terrain for the heavy machinery needed for the operation.
The pipeline was eventually repaired late yesterday afternoon and the supply slowly opened but by 22:00 the water had not yet reached the reservoirs. It was then discovered that the newly replaced section of the pipe had moved out of alignment and was leaking badly.
The new section of pipe was now replaced with a longer section this morning. The municipality said that they plan to restore water supply by at least 15:00 but request residents to be patient as water pressure will start building from then.
Water tankers will remain at strategic locations in the affected areas.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- “#FeesMustfall” Fantasy destroyed in 9 minutes - 24 October 2016
- #FeesMustFall Students: Prepare to have your dreams shattered - 24 October 2016
- The DA will not allow the fight against corruption to be undermined - 22 October 2016
- Can you help with these #NMMU support initiatives? #FeesMustFall - 22 October 2016
- If I was a lawyer my words would be worth R92 680.00 per day - 21 October 2016