Received the invite below from our hard working communications department – yup those guys who publicly state that they are underpaid and work ungodly hours.
Now, the invite was received at 7:00 am this morning for an event taking place today at 12:00.
I have learned from bitter experience not to point out to communications that it would be more courteous of them to notify people well in advance if they would like coverage. The first time I did so I was accused of being a two bit media instance with no influence at all – I will have you know that my Mother AND the Longhair read MyPE on a semi regular basis, so what more proof do you need Ro-Ro and KB?
Although I must confess that I did feel a yawn coming on when I read this exhortation to let the public know about the renaming of buildings – a process, I am sure, that didn’t start at 6:00 am this morning. Can you imagine Zanoxolo waking up this morning and saying; “Okay, so JZ was in town on Friday and Nelson Mandela Bay didn’t get any major coverage in the Sunday Crimes so what dastardly plan can I come up with to get some front page news? I know, lets rename some buildings and blame it on apartheid – that always get people hot under the collar.”
I don’t think so …………
See the details below and let me know if you think I should go in the comments section below.
The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality will be hosting an event to announce the renaming of Municipal buildings to honour heroes and heroines who played a pivotal role in fighting the unjust Apartheid system.
Details are as follows:
- Date: Monday, March 19, 2012
- Venue: Cecil Kapi Hall (New Brighton)
- Time: 12:00 – 14:00
Media are invited to cover this important event. Please find more information attached.
For the record:
- Brister House changes to Lillian Diedericks
- Hoza Hall changes to Sizwe Cecil Kapi (Thought I DIDN’T recognise the venue for today’s feast)
- Eric Tindale changes to Mfanasekhaya Gqobose
- Pleinhuis changes to Noninxi Luzipho
BTW – the name changes have now got coverage.
Dear Executive Mayor – please donate the food and drink that I would have consumed to a suitable charity.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Child support grants cannot be used as income in credit applications - 19 July 2019
- New recycling process to help tackle the world’s plastic waste problem - 19 July 2019
- Port Employees Take #ActionAgainstPoverty - 18 July 2019
- Reserve Bank cuts repo rate by 25 basis points - 18 July 2019
- 50 SME’s to Benefit From Pro Bono Programme - 18 July 2019