Swimmers from around the Province took part in the first round of the Swimming South Africa sanctioned EC Swim Series on Sunday morning at Settlers Dam outside Grahamstown. Hosted by Nelson Mandela Bay Aquatics’ (NMBA) the Series is the only swimming event in the Province which affords registered swimmers the opportunity to attain qualifying times to attend the SA Openwater Swimming Nationals in March next year.
No fewer than 4 swimming races took place on the tranquil Settlers Dam on the morning with the 10km swim being won by Port Elizabeth swimmer Rebecca Newman in a time of 2 hours 49 minutes whilst the 5km swim was one by Kirsten Marriott in a qualifying time of 1hr 15min.
The most popular event on the morning was the 3km swim which was won by Nicolas Adam in a time of 41 minutes 6 seconds whilst St Francis swimmer Amica De Jager won the ladies 3km race in a time of 41min 25seconds. The first 16 swimmers home in the 3km all achieved SSA qualifying times whilst disabled winner Stanford Slabbert also obtained his first qualifying time of the season.
In the 1km swim it was Teagan Strydom who won in a time of 14 min 37 seconds with East London’s Nadia van Zyl winning the ladies race in 16 min 57 seconds.
No fewer than 17 qualifying times were achieved on the morning with the bulk of these being in the 3km swim.
“The morning was a great success and the venue was absolutely amazing. The dam is breathtakingly beautiful and makes for an ideal setting for a swimming event of this nature. Being fresh water, our swimmers are able to achieve qualifying times comparable to those of the other Provinces which will give them confidence going into the SA champs next year.” said Series director Mike Zoetmulder of Zsports Events NPC, a Port Elizabeth based non-profit event management company.
The next round, and the last for 2015, of the EC Swim Series will be taking place on Sunday 15th November at Settlers Dam. Whilst aimed at the registered swimmers, the Series is open to all open water swimming enthusiasts as a great training opportunity.
Series registration is a once-off R50 to secure a race number for the season whilst race day entry fees are R100 for the 10km, 5km and 3km swims and R80 for the 1km swim. Swimmers entering more than one event on a race day will get the second event discounted to just R50. See www.ecswim.co.za for further information and online registration ahead of Round 2.
Summary Results (EC Swim Series, Sunday 1st November 2015 at Settlers Dam, Grahamstown):
- 10km Swim – Ladies: 1 Rebecca Newman (2:49:03);
- 5km Swim – Ladies: 1 Kirsten Marriott (1:15:39);
- 3km Swim – Men:1 Nicolas Adam (41:06); 2 Damian Fourie (43:26); 3 Josh Tucker (45:04); 4 Rhys Poovan (46:31); 5 Flippie Van Der Spuy (46:38); 6 Dieter Marais (48:32); 7 Jose Peffer (48:35); 8 Nico Van Zyl (52:36); 9 Martin Wolmarans (52:52); 10 Greg Tucker (55:40). Ladies: 1 Amica De Jager (41:25); 2 Chloe Velde (43:27); 3 Hannah Haswell (43:31); 4 Jessica Joyner (43:57); 5 Erin Jarvis (45:59); 6 Tayla-Jade Van Huyssteen (46:24); 7 Erika Scheepers (46:40); 8 Denise Bosman (46:44); 9 Meralda Terblanche (47:21); 10 Michell Strydom (47:25);
- 3km Disabled Swim – 1 Stanford Slabbert (59:36);
- 1km Swim – Men: 1 Teagan Strydom (14:37);2 Oscar Liss (14:53); 3 Heinrich Vorster (16:35); 4 Heath Broughton (18:53); 5 Stanford Slabbert (20:11);
Ladies: 1 Nadia Van Zyl (16:57); 2 Amy Rose Swart (17:24); 3 Shaelyn Natasha Walker (17:33); 4 Zahra Pinto (20:01); 5 Catherine Deiner (21:26);