The Port Elizabeth Golf Club (PEGC) is conveniently situated in the heart of the city, along Westview Drive, Mill Park. This long-standing Port Elizabeth Golf Club offers an outstanding golf course and first class facilities. Having been in existence for over 100 years, it is steeped in tradition and is known to locals as “The Hill”. The length of the Course is 6117 Meters with 18 holes / Par 72.
In 2015, the Club celebrated it’s 125th year of existence as the 2nd oldest Club in the country.
Recognised as Port Elizabeth’s premier course this 18-hole undulating parkland course is in the heart of the city, just minutes from the beach and the hotels. It is the second oldest registered golf club in South Africa, founded in 1890. The most significant change in recent years was the introduction of putter bent grass greens. The PEGC has two nines of equal par 36 for a total of par 72. The club’s Eastern Province golf rating is, however, 71 for the 6,117m layout. The fairways are lined with trees and natural shrubs and the layout presents a formidable challenge. There is a large lake on the right of the par-5 8th hole as well as a lake guarding the right side of the short par-3 17th hole. Apart from water hazards and trees along most fairways, several doglegs add to the difficulty of the course.
The spacious clubhouse, proud of its long history, provides a warm welcome to both members and visitors alike, catering for small or large groups of golfers, tour groups, corporate golf and tournaments, social gatherings, conferences, weddings and other numerous functions and celebrations.
Contact the PEGC on 041 374 3140.
The Humewood Golf Club, along Marine Drive, Summerstrand was designed and developed in 1929 by Col. Stafford Vere Hotchkin (1876 – 8 August 1953).
In 1929, Port Elizabeth Golf Club members asked course architect Colonel SV Hotchkin to design a second championship course for the town. He owned Woodhall Spa in Lincolnshire, but his love for the Old Course at St Andrews inspired him to produce Humewood.
He did break away, though, from the traditional 9 holes out and 9 holes back approach and, instead, he built a course of two separate 9’s. Each 9 returns to the Club House in the middle of the course in a similar way to the Muirfield Links in Scotland.
As a result, the holes run in different directions so that the golfer doesn’t get to play a long sequence of holes, either downwind or into the wind. His design included 8 par 5’s on a par 76 layout. Humewood is considered his finest work!
Today, Humewood is still one of only a few genuine links courses found outside of Britain and is situated on the sand dunes on the shores of Algoa Bay, Port Elizabeth with exposed, undulating and wide fairways to compensate for strong winds. The Bunkers are few with steep faces whilst the Greens are firm and fast and the rough is thick coastal bush with no water hazards.
Contact Humewood Golf Club on 041 583 2137.
The Shark River Golf Club (formerly Eastern Province Command Golf Club) was established in 1948. The then policy of the Defence Force was to establish sporting facilities to promote leadership. The course was exclusively for Defence Force personnel and consisted of five holes.
In 1978 the course was opened to the public. The course was managed and maintained in all aspects by the Eastern Province Command. Due to the interest shown by the public, the course was developed as a nine hole course and over the next seven years was lengthened and redesigned to its present state.
Owing to government policy the Eastern Province Command was renamed General Support Base Port Elizabeth and hence the name change of the golf club. The name Shark River was derived from the fact that the course lay in the then “Zark River” in the early 1900’s. Shark River Golf Club is a fully affiliated member of the SAGA, SALGA, ECGU and ECGWA. We enjoy reciprocity with Alexandria, Craddock, Graaff-Reinet, Humansdorp, Jeffreys Bay and Kirkwood Golf Clubs.
The current course is 5 403m long and is under a programme of constant improvement with the present focus on greens and a new practice area.
The course is situated in Forest Hill near the Port Elizabeth Airport and can be contacted on 041 581 6188.
The Walmer Country Club on Victoria Drive, Walmer is an 18 hole championship course in Walmer, Port Elizabeth. The course is a genuine challenge to the amateur golfer. With thick coastal bush, tree lined fairways and the notorious Port Elizabeth winds, the course can be a handful to most golfers.
The club also offers Squash and Bowls.
The par 72 course is 5 958 metres long.
The Pro Shop at Walmer Country Club, is managed by Gary Packer a AA Class PGA qualified pro.
Contact the Walmer Country Club on 041 5814 211.
The Wedgewood Golf and Country Estate Golf Course on Cape Road, Greenbushes boasts a beautiful tree-lined 18-hole championship golf course, with generous fairways and a certain “country” ambiance. The course is widely recognised by the golfing community as one of the most stimulating and challenging golf courses in the Eastern Cape.
Totally redesigned and owned by Golf Data, the course incorporates seven large new lakes covering 4ha of additional surface water on the front nine holes offering a visual treat for the adjacent residential properties. Golf Data has worked with some of the world’s premier golf design professionals and are notably the official representatives of the Nicklaus Design Company.
The clubhouse, overlooking the 9th and 18th greens is a stunning double volume, get-your-cool-back space with comfy seating and plenty of space to unwind. The building is energy efficient and also hosts the ever-popular Monthly Family Market. A state of the art fully automated irrigation system is utilised for tees, greens and fairways with treated effluent water. In addition, a return drainage system allows the course to re-use much of the run-off and seepage water from the course. The greens are A1/A4 Bentgrass, whilst the existing endemic grasses will be retained on the fairways and tees.
The original Wedgwood Park Country Club was the former host of the South African premier international golf tournament, the General Motors Invitational and has seen the likes of Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Seve Ballesteros, Peter Oosterhuis, Harold Henning, Hugh Baiocchi and Ernie Els grace its fairways over the years. The Club holds special memories for South Africa’s very own Gary Player, because it was at Wedgwood that Gary won his 100th professional tournament.
For Golf Bookings Call: 041 450 9595.
The Walmer Golf Club, or more fondly known as Little Walmer, was founded in 1897, which makes it one of the oldest golf clubs in the country. It is a nine-hole course with 18 different tee-boxes. Surrounded by a brand new golfing estate, it provides any golfer with many challenging holes, regardless of handicap. It’s signature hole is the par-three 6th which is only 127 meters long, but one’s tee shot must be accurate, to avoid getting the ball wet in the pond which extends right up to the green. When the Estate was established in 2005, a new clubhouse was built, as well as five new and challenging greens. A state-of-the-art water reticulation system ensuring well-watered fairways and greens throughout the year, was also installed. The Club House is a two-storied building with all the necessary and modern facilities.
The first AGM of the new Walmer Golf Club took place on the 4th of June 1899. It was only three years later, in November 1902, that the Port Elizabeth Golf Club course and clubhouse were opened (and as a matter of interest, the North End Golf Club was established in October 1910).
The Walmer course comprised eighteen shortish holes (to reduce maintenance), and covered the area bounded by Ninth Avenue in theABOUT WALMER GOLF ESTATE PIC 2 east, Fourteenth avenue in the west, River road and Newcastle (now short) Road on the south and the Klein Kabega River in the north. A wood and iron club house was donated to the Club by Herbert Longworth (grandfather of Tony of whom we will hear a lot later on), and erected at the top of Tenth Avenue, which was the main access road to the Club. Each hole had its own name and was allocated to a family who was responsible for its design, construction, development and maintenance. The greens were made of clay, with cattle and game roaming in abundance. The Stormberg hole (also called “little Quarry”) was a shortish hole on the escarpment of the Klein Kabega River (near todays forth?), which was played over a disused bogey five on the course – also played over a disused quarry at the top of Eleventh Avenue, which today remains as the signature 6th hole. Sadly the plan of the original course, together with all the names of the holes, has disappeared. The ground was covered mostly with “duinebessie” bushes, which provided excellent shelter and berries for the multitude of tortoises existing in those days, and for many years thereafter. There were not yet any exotic trees such as the Port Jackson Willow, the Black Wattle or the Australian Myrtle. As Walmer developed, the Myrtle was introduces, originally as a windbreak or hedge for the neighbouring private properties, but it soon spread out of control everywhere. (Today there are very few tortoises left, having been practically destroyed by both man and fire – and of course the Port Jackson Willow remains one of the biggest problems).
The quarry at the Bay of Biscay hole provided sufficient clay to construct the base to the tees and greens. The latter were covered with river sand to create the putting surface. The hole in the centre of each green was marked by a steel vertical rod, at the top of which was welded a horizontal pipe to form a “T”. You used this to smooth out a path on the sand between your ball and the hole. Some players carried their own wooden scrapers in their bags. On the tee-boxes the ball was teed up on a lump of damp clay which was provided at each hole. Each tee-box had a concrete slab embedded vertically in the ground on which was inscribed the hole number, the yardage and the “bogey” (what today we call “par”) for the hole. During the First World War (1914-1918), there was a massive reduction in membership, and with the Club struggling to survive, it was forced to give up nine of its eighteen holes.
You will find the Little Walmer Golf Course at 79 River Road, Walmer, Port Elizabeth.
Contact Number: 041 581 1613.
The Kragga Kamma Golf Club was started in 2001. The new layout as of 1st March 2015 has 9 Holes with 18 Tees and has some challenging holes. It has a beautiful Country feel to it and takes all other worldly worries and cares away from you while you play in God’s good fresh air and scenery.
The Club is situated in THeescombe – 10 Kilometers down the Kragga Kamma Road from the Sunridge SPAR travelling westwards. Apart from the Golf Course there is a squash court and a bowling green. The Club also boasts two entertainment areas which are popular for Parties and Weddings as well as hosting of company and charity golf days.
The Club has a Night Golf Evening once a month; Each Month the Club has a Club Golf Competition; Fully Stocked Bar Facilities; Squash Court; Table Tennis; Pool Table and Dart Board. IN addition there are Putting, Chipping and Driving Pactice Areas.
Contact the Kragga Kamma Golf Course on 041 379 4155.
CLICK HERE for: Budget PE Accommodation | PE Waterfront
Experience Magnificent Nelson Mandela Bay:
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Port Elizabeth brings its best to the 2019 ENGEN Pitch & Polish event - 15 July 2019
- Implementing Liquefied Natural Gas with Coega as the Hub - 15 July 2019
- Leopard relocation dispute – Buffalo Kloof Private Game Reserve’s response - 15 July 2019
- Filipino Crewman Evacuated off Bulk Carrier - 15 July 2019
- One More Reason Why Foreign Visitors are a God Send - 15 July 2019