Over 800 people took part in the second annual Volkswagen FunRun hosted at Volkswagen Group South Africa’s PeoplePavilion in Uitenhage last Saturday, 21 May 2016.
The 5km FunRun route started at the PeoplePavilion before taking the participants through the Volkswagen Factory and back to the PeoplePavilion.
“The annual 5km FunRun is one of the many sporting events hosted at the PeoplePavilion. We are very grateful of the support that we received from our employees and their loved ones as well as local communities,” said Thomas Schaefer, Chairman and Managing Director: Volkswagen Group South Africa.
The men’s winner, Melikaya Frans crossed the finish line with a time of 13:59, followed by Zolani Ngqaqa in second place with a time of 14:10 and rounding off the top three was Mariano Essou in 14:20.
Ntombesintu Mfunzi was the ladies’ winner on the day in 17:09, followed by 14-year old Amber Rayner who came in at exactly 18:00 and Ndileka Mvakwendlu finished third in 18:13.
Both male and female winners each received R1 000 prize money while those that came in second and third place received R500 and R250 respectively.
Similarly to the inaugural race in 2015, a donation of R5 000 from the proceeds of the registration fee was presented to Lake Farm Centre for mentally-challenged adults. Volkswagen has been supporting Lake Farm for the past 10 years.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Child support grants cannot be used as income in credit applications - 19 July 2019
- New recycling process to help tackle the world’s plastic waste problem - 19 July 2019
- Port Employees Take #ActionAgainstPoverty - 18 July 2019
- Reserve Bank cuts repo rate by 25 basis points - 18 July 2019
- 50 SME’s to Benefit From Pro Bono Programme - 18 July 2019