On a recent overnight trip to Bird Island I was pleased to discover that officials from the Department of Environmental Affairs rate Bird Island as the cleanest island along the South African coastline.
No, this is not because people litter less in Algoa Bay, but because the custodians of the Bird Island Marine Protected Area – the Addo Elephant National Park do twice daily sweeps of the island’s perimeter to pick up any flotsam and jetsam that washes up.
Next time you toss something overboard spare a thought for the environment.
One of the more disturbing items that the Addo Rangers picked up recently was this dread-locked ‘Chucky’ doll that we named Mrs Hansen.
The wife of the island keeper, Mrs Hansen is said to have become depressed at living in such extreme isolation. Then one day, her body was discovered in a well near the lighthouse. While the story dates from 1908, many believe her spirit still wanders there, and some accounts claim to have seen the ghost of a woman.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Masualle – E Cape’s job creation efforts reaping rewards - 15 February 2019
- Let’s put the size of SA’s Automotive Market in Persepective - 15 February 2019
- Lisa Yengeni - 15 February 2019
- Living from pay cheque to pay cheque? - 15 February 2019
- How will the 2019 Budget Speech affect you? - 15 February 2019