Power utility Eskom will implement Stage 2 load shedding until 22h00 today, 6 February 2015.
Commercial customers, particularly shopping centres and office blocks are urged to switch off non-essential lights and not to leave office equipment such as photocopiers and computers on standby mode after hours.
In terms of load shedding per block, the schedule is always followed, however there are technical difficulties that can result is block mismatches and customers finding their power not going off at the stated time. This is usually caused by the following:
The network is designed to have different connections to every substation. This ensures that under fault conditions, an alternate supply can be used to provide electricity to the affected substation while the fault is being fixed. The alternate supply is generally from a neighbouring area. Due to this dual connection, it allows for electricity to be speedily restored under fault conditions however, this creates difficulty in block allocations during load shedding.
A customer can technically receive their electricity from the substation within their area or the neighbouring area. Due to the dynamic nature of the electricity system, supply arrangements will change based on faults, maintenance programs etc. This results in block changes for an area. Every effort is being made to ensure that supplies are restored to their normal configuration preventing block changes and confusion.
These ‘lucky people’ are the recipients of Load Shedding today:
- 06h00 t0 10h30: Group 1 + Group 2
- 08h00 to 10h30: Geysers + Group 3
- 10h00 to 12h30: Group 4 + Group 5
- 12h00 to 14h30: Group 6 + Group 7
- 14h00 to 16h30: Group 8 + Group 1
- 16h00 to 18h30: Group 2 + Group 3
- 18h00 to 20h30: Geysers + Group 4
- 20h00 to 22h30: Group 5 + Group 6
Those hybrid Solar PV Systems are beginning to make more and more sense.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- The Top Table - 16 August 2019
- 2 deceased in tragic boating accident - 16 August 2019
- OUTA plans to challenge the AARTO Amendment Act - 16 August 2019
- 10 Out of 11 Isuzu Southern Kings Games to be played at NMB Stadium - 16 August 2019
- The scene from which the Team Sailing League will kick off on 14 September 2019 - 16 August 2019