During the lead-up to the annual Algoa FM Big Walk for Cancer, the Eastern Cape Department of Health will host a free health screening at the Somerset Spar in Nojoli Street on Friday, October 5 from eleven in the morning till two in the afternoon.
The screening forms part of a province-wide awareness campaign that includes free health screenings in various malls in the major centres in the run-up to the event.
The health screenings include tests for hypertension, diabetes, prostate cancer, blood pressure, glucose levels, tuberculosis, blood cancer and breast cancer.
Information leaflets on health issues such as tuberculosis, family planning, cervical cancer and the dangers of smoking, drugs and alcohol will also be distributed at information kiosks.
“During 2017, more than 900 people were screened throughout the province”, says Algoa FM marketing manager Toinette Koumpan.
The walk will take place at the Boardwalk in Summerstrand, Port Elizabeth on Saturday, 27 October
Entry forms are available from Brian Bands in Cape Road, the Total Sports store in Uitenhage and Algoa FM.
An online entry portal is also available at algoafm.co.za, where the entry fee for the 5km walk is R65. Manual entries are charged at R 70.
Funds raised for the 2018 Algoa FM Big Walk for Cancer will go towards the purchase of a FotoFinder Mole analyser for the local branch of the Cancer Association of South Africa (CANSA). In 2017 the event raised R570 000.
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Tammy Bailes – Team Sailing League Regatta - 20 October 2019
- Additional power generating units expected to return to service – Eskom – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 October 2019
- Jim Foot – Team Sailing League Regatta - 20 October 2019
- Uitenhage News: Operation ‘Gijima Tsotsi’ takes charge in Humansdorp and Uitenhage Clusters - 20 October 2019
- 3 Bedroom House for Sale in Perridgevale – Port Elizabeth in the News - 20 October 2019