High blood pressure or hypertension is often called the ‘silent killer’ because there are rarely any symptoms or obvious warning signs that blood pressure is high – the only way to tell whether you have high blood pressure is to have it tested.
That is why more than 50% of people with high blood pressure are unaware of their condition.
The good news is that MediRite Pharmacies, conveniently located in selected Shoprite and Checkers supermarkets across South Africa, will be offering free blood pressure tests on Friday 16 February 2018 in support of Healthy Lifestyles Awareness Day.
“While high blood pressure or hypertension might not have symptoms of its own it can cause other potentially fatal conditions and is one of the most common risk factors for heart attacks, stroke and kidney disease in the South African population. Early detection and appropriate medical treatment can limit damage and further complications, often saving lives,” says Prof. Pamela Naidoo, CEO of the Heart and Stroke Foundation SA.
To take advantage of this free service, customers are urged to make an appointment at their nearest MediRite, where a friendly and qualified pharmacist will administer the blood pressure test.
Visit www.medirite.co.za/ to locate your nearest MediRite pharmacy.
Starting from February, MediRite pharmacies across South Africa are also offering free health screenings to senior citizens aged 60 and older on the first Wednesday of every month. The check-ups include blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure and body mass index (BMI) tests.
Author: Angelique Wagner
Latest posts by Port Elizabethan (see all)
- Too Early to Celebrate Decline in South Africa Rhino Poaching – MyPR.co.za - 21 February 2019
- PE Business News: Pressure rises for Cheetahs as PRO14 reaches business end - 21 February 2019
- Madibaz coach knows a tough road lies ahead – MyPR.co.za - 20 February 2019
- Mthatha News: SA photographer sells photo for record R1.7m - 20 February 2019
- Uitenhage News: Community’s Assistance Sought By Uitenhage SAPS [press release] - 20 February 2019