Steps to follow when your WordPress Site spits out an Error Establishing a Database Connection error.
Ten to one the problem is in the wp-config.php file to be found in the public_html folder on the web server hosting your domain.
Step by Step:
- Open Cpanel of your web site (if you are hosted on a linux machine)
- Go to File Manager and navigate to public_html
- Find wp-config.php and download to a PLAIN TEXT Editor
- In Cpanel open up MySQL Databases
- Check that the Database Name and Database User Names are the same
- If not change those values to reflect the values as displayed in MySQL in Cpanel
- At this stage it would be prudent to change the Database Username Password as well via the MySQL screen in Cpanel
- Then save and upload the new wp-config.php file
- If you are New to this then RENAME the existing wp-config.php file to something else BEFORE uploading the new wp-config.php file.
Refresh and check – normally this works first time.
If not, check that you are using a plain text editor and then run a check and repair uitility on the database.
Latest posts by Alan Straton (see all)
- Business Credit Card application checklist - 17 February 2020
- Great Fun Back Flipping off of Macan - 17 February 2020
- The Hidden Reckless and Wasteful Expenditure Costing Taxpayers Billions - 17 February 2020
- We all need a happy place - 17 February 2020
- Graeme and Marlow to renew rivalry - 17 February 2020